[CentOS] gphoto2 and Nikon Coolpix 990/995

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 19:50:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:

> [antwerp at bepstein][~/scratch] gphoto2 --capture-image
>
> *** Error ***
> An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB
> device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted). Make
> sure no other program or kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680,
> spca50x) is using the device and you have read/write access to the
> device.

Well, the camera is correctly recognized and the gphoto2 command is
working.  At this point, you may want to follow the error message and
make sure the kernel modules listed there are not loaded.

For your reference, device looks like this on my CentOS 5.4 system:

crw------- 1 root  root  442,  4106 Mar 26 12:45 usbdev3.11_ep81
crw------- 1 root  root  442,  4106 Mar 26 12:45 usbdev3.11_ep04
crw------- 1 root  root  442,  4106 Mar 26 12:45 usbdev3.11_ep83

Mine is Coolpix 4500 (though this should not make a difference).
Also, I am not operating the camera as root and the gphoto2
--capture-image command works fine.

Akemi