[CentOS] Running commercial softwares on CentOS

James A. Peltier jpeltier at fas.sfu.ca
Mon Mar 29 06:33:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Rahul Tidke wrote:

> Hello!
> How can I use CentOS as a complete desktop OS? I want to run Autodesk
> products on it like AutoCAD,Revit,3D Max,etc. Does Wine (winehq) support
> running such software?

> Can I use (KVM,Xen) virtualization to run Windows XP  and all commercial
> software on it? Does running XP in virtualization requires a license?

KVM runs Windows just fine for me.

Virtualization does not change anything about licensing.  You still need a
license for all the software, but, for Windows there might be different
licensing models available to you when running in a virtualized

3D software packages are often limited by the fact that under a virtual
environment they are doing software based rendering.  It will likely be
the performance killer aspect of virtualization in your environment.

James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
HPC Coordinator
Phone   : 778-782-6573
Fax     : 778-782-3045
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca
MSN     : subatomic_spam at hotmail.com

  There's power in numbers.  Learn to work together.