[CentOS] Running commercial softwares on CentOS

Timo Schoeler timo.schoeler at riscworks.net
Mon Mar 29 08:18:54 UTC 2010

thus James A. Peltier spake:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Rahul Tidke wrote:
> <snip>
>> I agree with above facts. But, how do Red Hat provides interoperability in
>> its desktop edition http://www.redhat.com/rhel/desktop/ ? It says that it
>> supports third party apps and MS apps/environment. What software and
>> technologies are used in RHEL for this? I just want to explore the
>> possibilities for using CentOS as a full fledged desktop OS. I have been
>> using CentOS as a server since very long time.
>> Rahul.
> Red Hat uses Wine, but only to support the most commonly used Windows
> applications like Office, Photoshop, etc.  Engineering applications like
> AutoCAD are not your "typical" application set and are not but a single
> blip on the radar.
> Install Windows on KVM and try your apps.  That's the best answer I have
> for you or that you are likely to get.  I tried it before, a bit over a
> year ago and it completely sucked (due to reasons stated before).
> I have been using UNIX, BSD and GNU/Linux as a desktop OS for over 10
> years.  I don't do CAD/Visualization frequently, but when I do I use
> Windows on hardware.

Ten years ago the last stanza would have been different; remember Sun,
SGI, and HP hardware. (Well, some people still use Solaris and HP-UX for
such purposes today, I recently saw a TV documentary about glaciers
where on of the scientists show some technical stuff on an C8000 :).

Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)