[CentOS] Image viewer refuses to print TIF graphics

MHR

mhullrich at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 01:10:11 UTC 2010

I'm not sure if it's just the TIFs or if that related at all, since I
have had some luck in printing these before, but recently the image
viewer (eog - the Eye of GNOME, v 2.16.0.1) has responded to a print
command on certain TIFs with nothing.  Nothing shows up in the spool
queue for the printer, and, although the printer (a Brother 2140 laser
printer) heats up, it doesn't print anything at all.

Now, this is better than it printing hundreds of pages with
indecipherable gobbledygook on them, but I'd really prefer the image
itself.

Any ideas on what it might be?

My "standard" solution is to use either tiff2pdf or Adobe Photoshop
Elements (in my virtual WIndows box) to convert them to PDFs, which
then print just fine, but that's a real annoyance - tiff2pdf routinely
generates enormous PDF files, and it takes a while to bring the XP VM
out of hibernation, log in, open APE and run the conversion.

Other alternatives welcome....

mhr