[CentOS] VMWare vs. KVM - recommendations?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Tue Mar 30 02:20:05 UTC 2010

MHR wrote:

> Recommendations?

What are you going to use it for? If your looking for something
to act like vmware workstation, e.g. primarily for running a
desktop OS on top of X11 then I would stick to vmware server
2. Or more ideally VMware workstation, it has a TON of
desktop optimization thingies which may be useful if your
running XP as a guest.

I use vmware server 2 on a pair of debian systems(only use
CentOS at work and there I only use ESX as my hypervisor),
without any issues. The system I'm on now uses vmware server
2 to run another copy of debian to use as a VPN client to my
company(the vpn software screws with the routing table). No
issues going to 1080p resolution(running on a 47" phillips
1080p TV). My other vmware server 2 system is running that
because the hardware is too old to run anything better(circa
2004).

No problems..

nate