[CentOS] San boot failure after upgrade to latest

Kwan Lowe

kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 18:25:51 UTC 2010

Hello All:
   Had an issue after upgrading to the latest CentOS kernel from
kernel-2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 to kernel-2.6.18-164.15.1.el5  on an IBM
HS21 blade with SAN boot.  Upgrade went fine, but after rebooting the
system was unable to find /boot even though it was mounted.  The
reboot displayed an error with fsck.ext3 that /dev/mapper/mpath0p1 was
not found, which was the /boot volume. I reverted to the old kernel
and it booted fine.

At first I tried rebuilding the initrd to include the multipath
modules, but this had no effect.

I ended up just re-labeling all the ext3 filesystems and the changing
the /boot line in fstab from the /dev/mapper/mpath0p1 device to
LABEL=/boot. This resolved the issue.

Any idea why the latest kernel did not see the /boot volume when
specified as /dev/mapper/mpath0p1?