[CentOS] Release 6?

Milos Blazevic milos.blazevic at sbb.rs
Wed Mar 31 21:43:50 UTC 2010

Spiro Harvey wrote:
>> Since 5.5 is now out from Red Hat and most likely our amazing CentOS
>> team has already jumped on that, is there any word on Release 6?  IIRC
>> it's already a year out of date (base was supposed to be Fedora 10),
>> so I have to wonder.
>>

> I vaguely recollect that RH mentioned pushing out the (total) life
> cycles of a release from 5 to 7 years, or 7 to 10 or something like
> that.
>

> Their lifecycle info is here:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/
>
> But there's no mention of any changes on there...

Current RHEL life cycle is in fact 7 years.
Interesting, I remember hearing just the opposite - that they're about
to reduce the life cycle from 7 to 5 years, since allegedly no one uses
the same EL major release for more than 5 years. I mean, can you imagine
anyone who used RHEL 2.1 up until less than a year ago?

Anyway, it's nice to see so many people have dumped Fedora for pretty
much the same reason as I have, more than a year ago in favour of
CentOS. And this was after almost two years of discontent with Fedora.

--
*Milos Blazevic*

Cert. No: 605008720421478
Email: milos.blazevic at sbb.rs <mailto:milos.blazevic at sbb.rs>