[CentOS] Release 6?

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 22:54:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Milos Blazevic <milos.blazevic at sbb.rs> wrote:

> Current RHEL life cycle is in fact 7 years.
> Interesting, I remember hearing just the opposite - that they're about
> to reduce the life cycle from 7 to 5 years, since allegedly no one uses
> the same EL major release for more than 5 years. I mean, can you imagine
> anyone who used RHEL 2.1 up until less than a year ago?

:)

We have some RHEL2 systems still in production.

> Anyway, it's nice to see so many people have dumped Fedora for pretty
> much the same reason as I have, more than a year ago in favour of
> CentOS. And this was after almost two years of discontent with Fedora.

Fedora works fine for my play laptop. I have it setup so that critical
data is backed up to my fileserver so even if I lose the drive
rebuilding just takes 20 minutes or so and I'm back where I left off.
 I don't use it on any infrastructure stuff at my house, but it's
definitely easier to get things like networking, eye candy demo window
managers, graphics software, etc.. going under Fedora.