[CentOS] NFS freeze when transmitting big files

Tue Mar 30 10:27:04 UTC 2010
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>

Hi,

I have one old spare PC, a PIII with 128 MB RAM, that I use as a spare
file server. I have a headless CentOS 5 install on it, and a 2 terabyte
external USB harddisk. The machine is in my basement (because it's quite
loud), and I'm using what's called "CPL" here (Courant Porteur), which
is basically Ethernet over 220V power lines. It's much slower than
normally cabled Ethernet, but it works OK.

I setup an NFS server on this machine, with the big 2TB storage on the
external disk. On the first floor, on my main PC, I setup a consistent
mounting of the NFS shares in /etc/fstab, and it works.

Now here's the problem. Some of the files are quite big, usually movie
files that can make up to 4 GB. More often than not, when I cut/paste
such a file from my local harddisk to the server, it's quite slow
(understandably, due to the slow CPL connection), but then the operation
freezes in the middle, the cursor is unresponsive, even
[Ctrl+Alt+Backspace] doesn't work, and I have to do a hard reboot.

Now I wonder what this phenomenon can be due to. Some strange bottleneck
effect due to either lack of RAM to the server or the slow network or both?

Any ideas?

Niki