[CentOS] compilers a security risk?

Sun Mar 7 18:39:07 UTC 2010
JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 17:24 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Sunday 07 March 2010 03:35:43 pm nate wrote:
> > The
> > servers I manage for my employer receive roughly 2 billion web hits
> > per day.
>
> 2 billion per day? That's 20 000 hits per second, on average. How many servers
> do you actually have behind load-balancers to deal with this kind of activity?
> And also, what are you maintaining? Google?

---
And does your ssh machines get hammered?  I see that daily on some of my
clients.  The longest attack yet I have seen in the log files was 37
hours straight.  All use key auth also though.  These do not have such
as fail2ban or iptables limiting.  I have always seen those types of
schemes to be hindering security.  Thus adding in more problems.  I will
admit the machine that was attacked for 37 hours was a CentOS 5.2 OS.
So someone at OSCent is doing something right or I was.

John