[CentOS] is it possible to recover LVM drive from accidental Fdisk?

Sun Mar 7 19:03:16 UTC 2010
Theo Band <theo.band at greenpeak.com>

nate wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone know if it's possible to recover an LVM partition from a drive
>> that was fdisked? I accidently fdisk'd the wrong drive (had to fdisk a lot
>> of 160GB drivers from old servers and one still has important data on that
>> client now wants) by running fdisk /dev/sdc & deleting the partitions. The
>> drive is still in a another machine and hasn't been rebooted yet, but
>> there's no no partition on it.
>>

> re-create the original partition table, which is just a map, as long
> as you haven't formatted or overwritten data everything should still
> be there
>
> Also suggest if your not already doing it set your LVm partitons to
> type 8e so it's obvious they are LVM
>
> [root at dc1-mysql001b:~]# fdisk -l /dev/sdc
>
> Disk /dev/sdc: 2197.9 GB, 2197949513728 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 267218 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdc1               1      267218  2146428553+  8e  Linux LVM

And if you don't exactly remember how the partitions where set up, you
could try parted with the rescue command. It will search the raw disk
for signatures that could be the start of a partition.

Theo