[CentOS] CentOS server running java - won't let go of swap

Sun Mar 7 22:56:01 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Sean Carolan wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure that's not true.  Permgen is just part of the heap space and
>> none of that accounts for the executing part of the JVM.  In any case, you
>> probably want to allow some free memory to be used for filesystem cache.
>
> I'll read up on this some more.  I'm not a java expert.
>
>>> Are there any tools that let you look inside  the swap disk or file
>>> and see exactly what is being placed there?
>> In top, hit 'f', then 'p' to add a column to show swap usage by process.
>
> Well, looks like java is the culprit.  I'll work with the devs and QA
> people some more to see if we can track down the source, maybe it's a
> memory leak...

Does restarting java fix it for a while?  There was an odd leak back in the
1.4.x versions when creating graphic images, and there may be others in other
versions.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com