[CentOS] CentOS server running java - won't let go of swap

Mon Mar 8 10:12:59 UTC 2010
Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier at argeo.org>

> I have Crashes with the b09 too. How did you upgrade the version?

We repackaged the Fedora SRPM.
(it was discussed on this list in December/January: "[CentOS] stock
openjdk vs. epel")

You can find the SRPMs as well as x86_64 and i386 versions here:
http://www.argeo.org/linux/argeo-el/5/plus/

We use this version since then, and have experienced better resource
usage and less issues.

Please note, that the RPMs as they currently are DO UPGRADE base CentOS.
Our goal is to maintain this in the long term and to submit it to one
of the additional CentOS repositories if there is enough interest, so
we would be happy to have people testing it and providing feedback.
We are considering building another version which would not override
the stock OpenJDK but install the latest version on the side as an
'alternative'. We did not have the need until then, but it would make
sense if there is interest in the community.

Here are instructions on how to use our repositories:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2010-January/088368.html

You can directly download the repo file ("plus" repositories are
disabled so you need to enable the [argeo-plus] one):
http://www.argeo.org/linux/argeo-el/5/argeo.repo

If you don't want to depend on our repository you can of course
rebuild the SRPM.

An alternative is to build locally the OpenJDK using the IcedTea
harness and deploy it on /opt or /usr/local.
Here are pointers on how to do it as well as the rationale for
upgrading (with links to the bugs we filed):
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-December/088036.html

You can of course always install the latest Sun JDK (our policy is
rather to use FLOSS software upon which we have control)
Some pointers here, mostly relevant for desktop:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-December/088038.html

Hope it helps.