[CentOS] compilers a security risk?

Mon Mar 8 14:34:14 UTC 2010
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

On 3/6/2010 4:04 PM, nate wrote:

> if you can upload source code,
> you can upload a precompiled binary

True, but most attacks are automated, and try to attack as wide a range
of machines as possible.

If I were to write a bit of malware for *ix that needed a custom binary
on the target machine, I'd at least consider distributing it as C code,
banking on the fact that most *ix systems have a C compiler installed by
default these days.

The core assumption here is that it's easier to write C code for an *ix
system that will compile on a wide range of OSes than it is to craft a
binary that will run on as many systems.  One of the biggest problems in
the *ix world is a reliance on source-level compatibility.  Other OSes
-- Windows in particular -- take a different tack, providing ABI-level
compatibility over the course of decades.  That has pluses and minuses.
  For a malware writer, it means it's far more reliable to distribute
binaries than C code.

That being said, I always find it to be a colossal PITA to work on an
*ix system without a C compiler.  Again, source vs. ABI-level
compatibility.  Too often, I need to install something that isn't
available as a binary package for that particular system, or I need it
to install in a nonstandard way, so I have to build from source.

You might find that this is one of those security risks you're prepared
to accept.  Just because you identify a risk doesn't mean you have to
defend against it.  You should always do the cost-benefit calculation
before you decide.