[CentOS] Motherboards for HPC applications

Mon Mar 8 16:44:16 UTC 2010
Gordon McLellan <gordonthree at gmail.com>

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Eduardo Grosclaude
<eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Can somebody recommend CentOS-OK, dual socket motherboards for compute
> elements? A quick look up at Intel pages suggests they are thinking of
> them as "server boards", but then they recommend them as "for SMB",
> I'm somewhat puzzled about it.
> It would be nice to know what MBs you are using, pros and cons.
> Thank you in advance

Hello!

We need more details... what's your budget, what processor are you looking at?

SMB just means Small / Medium Business ... as opposed to a huge
enterprise server that might have four or eight sockets...

Name a vendor, I've probably had some sort of trouble with them... of
the "Big Names", Intel is probably the least troublesome.  I just
returned a bad Tyan board, and late last year returned two Supermicro
servers that were shipped with out of date hardware (not supporting
5400 series CPU).  I have an Asus board that runs Linux and
Opensolaris just fine, but will not allow any version of Windows to
install.

I hope this is some help to you.

Gordon