[CentOS] unable to get domain status from libvirt & KVM

Thu Mar 11 13:51:02 UTC 2010
Tom Georgoulias <tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com>

On 03/10/2010 07:08 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:

>> Can someone provide some tips on what else I can check, if this might be
>> a bug, or point out any mistakes that I might've made?  Any help is
>> appreciated.
>
> Well, I am learning / testing kvm myself, so what I write might not be
> precise. But because no one seems to be responding ... :)

I appreciate the feedback.

> Look into /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf and check out the section "UNIX
> socket access controls" and make appropriate adjustment.  [ I created
> group 'libvirt' , added myself to the group, and uncommented the line
> "unix_sock_group = "libvirt"".]  Then adjust also the permission bits
> of the directories and files in /var/run/libvirt to allow access to
> the group libvirt.

I read about that on libvirt.org but chose not to make any changes
since the Xen server already works with the same config I have on the
KVM server.  I understood libvirt to be a layer that lets one compatible
tool work with many different hypervisors, so I didn't think I'd need to
change my libvirt config to work with KVM if it already works with Xen.
  That might be a bad assumption, though, and I'm not wedded to it.  :)

> Another hint: you will have a better chance of getting replies by
> posting to the centos-virt mailing list.

I did that and will take the discussion there.

Thanks,
Tom