[CentOS] An odd IPMI problem

Thu Mar 11 15:39:12 UTC 2010
Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Thursday 11 March 2010, mark wrote:
> Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> > Seems to me that the IPMI driver can't find the IPMI hardware. What kind
> > of server are you trying this on? Is it known to work with the
> > IPMI-driver in vanilla CentOS-5.4?
>
> <snip>
> You seem to have missed the beginning of my original post, where I said
> that it had been running fine for 10 days, then *stopped* working.

Ooops, indeed, sorry for that :-)

That leaves, at least, two possibilities 1) the BMC is flaky (power cycle
machine or maybe even replace the BMC) 2) kernel driver messed up.

If it's the driver then, assuming you havn't already, try to unload the ipmi
stuff. Essentially "lsmod | grep ipmi" and the rmmod those. A "service ipmi
restart" should probably automate this for you.

Since you're focusing on the "in system" approach I assume you lack an
ethernet connection to the BMC? ...if not try to reach it that way.

/Peter