[CentOS] Multiple FreeNX servers and SSH ports

Sun Mar 21 16:11:15 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've setup a small LAN of two desktops running CentOS 5 in a medical
> office. Both are connected to the Internet via a small modem/router.
>
> Recently I played around with FreeNX on my own desktop, and I'd like to
> install it on these two computers. On my PC, I just redirected port 22
> in the router, so SSH (and thus FreeNX) requests from the outside get
> redirected to my desktop PC. (And yes, I have a strong password :oD)
>
> I'd like to handle the two PCs from the medical office remotely with
> FreeNX. I figured that the best way to distinguish them would be to
> assign a different port for SSH to each of them, and then redirect each
> of the ports respectively.
>
> 1) How do I choose different port numbers for SSH ? Any conventions or
> caveats for this ?
>
> 2) How do I configure these different ports ? By that, I mean : how do I
> tell SSH to use them instead of port 22 ?

You don't really need to change the ports on the hosts.  Just configure the
router to accept different ports on the internet side and redirect to port 22 at
the different IP addresses on the inside.  Then you only have to change the
client settings for access from outside.   I'd move both of them away from port
22 on the outside, though - you'll avoid a lot of password guessing attempts
that will happen otherwise.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com