[CentOS] centralised user authentication

Fri Mar 26 07:37:38 UTC 2010
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 08:03 +0100, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Jobst Schmalenbach a écrit :
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Information_Service
> >
> > it used to be called "yp" or "yellow pages".
> > it works with samba too.
> >
> I'm new to centralized user authentication, and I want to learn how to
> do it. I've heard that NIS is a deprecated technology, and that one
> should favour LDAP over it. I'd be curious if someone could explain the
> facts behind this (or even if it's true or not).
----
true

LDAP is also much more robust and versatile. You can keep extending it
for many things like mail routing/delivery/aliases, integration with
Samba/Netatalk/ for Windows/Macintosh users, automounts, shared address
books and more than just authentication.

Craig

believed to be clean.