[CentOS] gphoto2 and Nikon Coolpix 990/995

Fri Mar 26 19:25:53 UTC 2010
Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com>

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've got a CentOS 5.4 box and am trying to use it to control  either
>> of the two old cameras we've got, one being Nikon Coolpix 990 and the
>> other Nikon Coolpix 995. Accessing either I get the following message:

>> *** Error ***
>> An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB
>> device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted). Make
>> sure no other program or kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680,
>> spca50x) is using the device and you have read/write access to the
>> device.
>> ERROR: Could not capture.
>> *** Error (-53: 'Could not claim the USB device') ***
>>
>> Any idea what this could be about?
>>
>> By the way, about a year ago I did manage to use a Linux machine to
>> control one of these cameras (the 990, I believe).
>
> Is the camera set to the PTP mode?  Try running 'tail -f
> /var/log/messages' while connecting the camera and see how it is being
> recognized.
>
> Akemi

Thanks.

Just disconnected and reconnected the camera again, got the following:

Mar 26 15:23:51 antwerp kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 2
Mar 26 15:23:55 antwerp kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 3
Mar 26 15:23:55 antwerp kernel: usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

Looks like the camera is being recognized at least to some degree:

[antwerp at bepstein][~/scratch] lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04b0:0102 Nikon Corp. Coolpix 990
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
[antwerp at bepstein][~/scratch]