[CentOS] Problem burning DVD+RW discs

Mon Mar 29 02:21:47 UTC 2010
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:43:07AM -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Dick Roth <raroth7 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Good Day--
> >
> > I've been backing up my essential stuff to DVD+R discs for quite a while
> > with no trouble at all.
> >
> > Last week I tried backing up to a DVD+RW with no trouble at all.
> >
> > This week, when trying to re-write my weekly backup, CD/DVD Creator told
> > me it could not write to the disc because it was read-only.  Is there a
> > bug in CD/DVD Creator or am I doing something incorrectly.  Obviously,
> > I'd like to be able to reuse discs if I can, but can go back to using
> > one-use DVDs if necessary.

I can't help the OP, but...

> Did you erase the disc?
>
> 1) I strongly recommend using K3B or some other more robust GUI app
> for CD/DVD management.
>
> 2) That said, I have never been able to erase a rewritable disc with
> K3B.  It always errors out because it claims the disc is in use (well,
> yeah, it's mounted!).  The last time this happened (a few days ago), I
> extracted the erasure command from K3B's log and created a shell
> script to do the job, complete with umount.  That works just fine.
> (I'm open to K3B suggestions that would be more convenient here -
> hint, hint.... :-)

My Centos5 box has this problem too, but my older Centos didn't, and
and Fedora on my eeepc doesn't. I think it must be a bug in either the
version of k3b in use, or one of its subsidiary tools (no clue which).

What you need to do is: before letting K3B try to erase the dvd/rw is to
manually umount the volume, then k3b will work fine. (as root, type in
"mount", figure out which one is the volume in question, then issue
a "umount <mountpoint>" still as root.)