[CentOS] Running commercial softwares on CentOS

Mon Mar 29 05:33:15 UTC 2010
James A. Peltier <jpeltier at fas.sfu.ca>

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Rahul Tidke wrote:

> Hello!
>
> How can I use CentOS as a complete desktop OS? I want to run Autodesk
> products on it like AutoCAD,Revit,3D Max,etc. Does Wine (winehq) support
> running such software?

No.

> Can I use (KVM,Xen) virtualization to run Windows XP  and all commercial
> software on it? Does running XP in virtualization requires a license?

KVM runs Windows just fine for me.

Virtualization does not change anything about licensing.  You still need a
license for all the software, but, for Windows there might be different
licensing models available to you when running in a virtualized
environment.

3D software packages are often limited by the fact that under a virtual
environment they are doing software based rendering.  It will likely be
the performance killer aspect of virtualization in your environment.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca
           http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
MSN     : subatomic_spam at hotmail.com

TEAMWORK
  There's power in numbers.  Learn to work together.