[CentOS] is it possible to resive /var online?

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Sun May 2 20:44:13 UTC 2010

> I've also safely grown LVM volumes online, but /var is a bit more trickey
> since a lot of stuff runs straight from it .So I don't want to attempt this
> if it's going to break the whole system.

OK.. get you now..

The main thing to keep in mind is that you'll need a little bit of
free space in order to grow /var. I grow /var often on many systems.
There's also a possibility that you'll need to run tune2fs to grow the
journal to allow a larger maximum filesystem size. This cannot be done
with /var online though.