[CentOS] is it possible to resive /var online?

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Sun May 2 21:13:12 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com> wrote:

> heh, there's plenty space left on the drive:
>
> [root at zaxen02 ~]# pvscan
>   PV /dev/md1   VG LVM01   lvm2 [232.69 GB / 141.69 GB free]
>   Total: 1 [232.69 GB] / in use: 1 [232.69 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]
>
> As far as I know, one needs to unmount a volume in order to resize it, but
> /var can't be unmounted.

With LVM you don't need to unmount /var. You can do it on a running
system with the following caveats:

1) You'll need some free space on /var. I.e., not extra space in the
volume group, but a little extra space in the /var partition itself.
In other words, don't try to resize a completely full /var partition.

2) There is a possibility that you'll need to resize some metadata. If
so, this has to be done offline via a boot disk for /var.