[CentOS] Upgrading to 2.6.32

James Pearson james-p at moving-picture.com
Sun May 2 22:53:45 UTC 2010

maillists at gmail.com wrote:
  > dag, thanks for the article. I'm tempted to rebuild a 2.6.18 kernel
without
> the patches that disable fs-cache. It's hard to tell if Redhat abandoned it
> because it was unstable or because it was too much trouble to maintain
> something they thought might never make the mainline kernel.

I believe the FS-Cache code wasn't removed from the RHEL 5.x kernels -
it was just the fsc option that was disabled in the kernel mount options
and also disabled in nfs-utils (mount.nfs) as well.

It would be quite easy to remove this kernel patch and rebuild a kernel
(and rebuild nfs-utils, or use a version of mount.nfs from 5.2)-
however, the FS-Cache code in these kernels is now quite old and very
likely to be buggy - RedHat has not updated the kernel code to match the
mainline kernels since 5.2

Personally, I would wait for CentOS 6 - but even then, FS-Cache is
currently classed as a 'preview' technology in the RHEL 6.0 beta

James Pearson