[CentOS] How to schedule for a repeated task?

Jobst Schmalenbach jobst at barrett.com.au
Mon May 3 00:16:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 07:12:54AM -0400, Jim Perrin (jperrin at gmail.com) wrote:
> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 5:52 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24 at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Several things are wrong with this:
>
> 1. DO NOT EVER USE TELNET.

<just to be picky ;-)>

While I 100% agree with this you need to refine the wording a little

> 1. DO NOT EVER USE TELNET TO LOGIN.

Telnet is still a VERY VERY worthy tool to debug e.g. a
mail/imap/pop/whatever conection and I would not want
to live without it, even for HTTP connections, the only
thing you need to know is the protocol you want to debug.

   telnet mail.domain.ext 25

   If you establish a sucessful connection you will see something like
   Connected to mail.domain.ext.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   220 domain.ext ESMTP MDaemon 6.7.6; Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:37:02 +0000

   The next step is to tell the mail server where you are mailing from.
   This is the FQDN or the IP address of your local machine
   HELO local.domain.name

   A well configured mail server will check you are who you say you are
   (so, if you lie about your machine FQDN or IP, you may well caught), then respond
   250 mail.domain.ext Hello local.domain.name [a.b.c.d], pleased to meet you

   Next you specify who the mail is from
   MAIL FROM: mail at domain.ext

   which should return
   250 2.1.0 mail at domain.ext... Sender ok

   Some mail servers will check that the domain you use in the MAIL FROM: command exists.

   Now tell the mail server who the email is to
   RCPT TO: mail at destinationdomain.ext

   which should return
   250 2.1.0 mail at destinationdomain.ext... Recipient ok

   Now tell the mail server that you are going to send the email
   DATA

   Now you can start writing your email.
   Start by entering the email headers.
   Note the space between the : terminating the header name and the value. This is mandatory.