[CentOS] gcc?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon May 3 12:50:29 UTC 2010

Robert Heller wrote:

>>> Are you trying to ask for a recommendation for a programmers editor?
>> Thank you for your reply. Actually, I do not just need an C code editor but
>> I am seeking if a complete software package like c++/visual c on Windows
>> does exist for CentOS that enables for editing, debugging, running, online
>> help for all of the commands, etc. Can you please let me know if such a
>> complete package if available?
>
> What you are looking for is called an IDE (Integrated Development
> Environment). I believe that such a thing exists for the UNIX/Linux
> world, but I have had no experience with such tools under UNIX (few
> UNIX programmers bother with something like that).

That's probably not true any more, especially for languages like java that like
to put each class in its own file.  In fact, if there is any chance that you'll
ever program in java, I would just start with eclipse since it will also handle
C and some other languages nicely.  "yum install eclipse-platform".

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com