[CentOS] Software Protection on centos

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil
Mon May 3 14:43:17 UTC 2010

Jerry Franz wrote, On 05/03/2010 08:34 AM:
> On 05/03/2010 04:50 AM, premrajm at digilink.in wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to have a software protection for my hardisk. I have some
>> query regarding that
>>
>> (1) In Centos, is it possible to do a hardisk protection. Ex : Even if
>> the hardisk is taken from a PC and
>> used on another PC, it should not be executable.
>>
>> (2) Also if the entire binary of the source is mounted on a partition
>> say /tmp, is it possible
>>  to make that mount point as protected, visible only after entering a
>> password or similar to that.
>
> I would look at TrueCrypt.
>
> http://www.truecrypt.org/

Why go to TrueCrypt when LUKS is built in to CentOS?
IIRC the only partition that can't be encrypted with LUKS is /boot, perhaps use TrueCrypt there if
you KNOW they are out to get you.  TrueCrypt is also useful if you need to share a partition with
certain Non-Unix operating systems.

You do need to select the LUKS encryption when you do the CentOS install.

--
Todd Denniston