[CentOS] pppd does not work if SELinux is turned on.

Aleksey Tsalolikhin

atsaloli.tech at gmail.com
Wed May 5 19:47:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin
<atsaloli.tech at gmail.com> wrote:
> CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
>
> I run pppd on this system, it accepts dial-in connections, logs people
> in over ssh/sftp.
>
> I had selinux disabled on this system originally, but I recently
> enabled it, and selinux
> is blocking this pppd service.
>
> "audit2allow -M" has generated the following policy based on AVC
> denial messages:
>

> module fixdialinserver 1.0;
>
> require {
>        type pppd_t;
>        type shadow_t;
>        type chkpwd_exec_t;
>        class file { read execute };
>        class netlink_audit_socket create;
> }
>
> #============= pppd_t ==============
> allow pppd_t chkpwd_exec_t:file execute;
> allow pppd_t self:netlink_audit_socket create;
> allow pppd_t shadow_t:file read;
>

> However, I am unable to load this module due to conflict with another policy:
>
> # semodule -i fixdialinserver.pp
> libsepol.check_assertion_helper: assertion on line 0 violated by allow
> pppd_t shadow_t:file { read };
> libsepol.check_assertions: 1 assertion violations occured
> libsemanage.semanage_expand_sandbox: Expand module failed
> semodule:  Failed!
> #
>
> Is there an seboolean I can tweak to allow me to load this policy?

I used "getsebool -a |grep ppp" to find and enable the following three
selinux booleans:

pppd_can_insmod --> on
pppd_disable_trans --> on
pppd_for_user --> on

However pppd still does not work and policy still fails to load.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Aleksey