[CentOS] Not firewall, but what?

Ryan Manikowski jeenam at gmail.com
Thu May 6 18:42:51 UTC 2010

On 5/6/2010 2:35 PM, Gavin Carr wrote:
> Is one of your dns servers broken?
>
> On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 09:31:22PM +0300, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
>
>> I have a strange problem, where some clients see the website on my
>> server and some do not. It is not about the iptables, and seems to be
>> not about tcp wrapper. Still it is something within the box.
>>
>> More details:
>> - the problem is only with some clients, with no geographical connection
>> between them; other clients see the website just fine
>> - the problem-clients get timeout with their browser
>>

>> *- they get timeout also when they try a numerical ip address*
>>

>> - but they see another machine in the same subnet just fine (when they
>> browse by ip number), so the problem has to be inside this webserver
>> box, right?
>> - port 80 (not ssl)
>>
>> Switching off iptables does not help. The files hosts.allow and
>> hosts.deny are empty, so I guess it's not the tcp wrapper.

Notice the op posted they get timeouts even when going directly to a
numerical address (if the apache server is configured to respond to *:80
it should at least display something)

Try using telnet from a client machine that can not connect.

e.g. telnet host.name.here 80

or

telnet xx.xxx.xxx.xxx 80

Try a few times and see if you're getting a timeout or if it connects
every time. Run tcpdump on the apache server while sending the
connection requests and see if the connection attempts show up at all.
If they do not, then it's a network problem.

--
	 Ryan Manikowski

]] Devision Media Services LLC [[
	 www.devision.us