[CentOS] USB key installed OS; file system goes read-only randomly...

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri May 7 02:35:13 UTC 2010

Jason Pyeron wrote:
> [root at test-dhcp ~]# tail -f /var/log/dmesg /var/log/secure /var/log/messages
> /var/log/faillog

note that /var/log/dmesg is just a snapshot of the output of the program
dmesg taken after boot time.     the dmesg command dumps the current
kernel message buffer, but I don't believe it has a live 'follow' mode.

that said, most stuff written to the kernel message buffer gets
processed by syslog and put in /var/log/messages