[CentOS] Broken upgrade to memcached

Ralph Angenendt ralph.angenendt at gmail.com
Sat May 8 02:08:36 UTC 2010

Am 04.05.10 17:25, schrieb m.roth at 5-cent.us:

> That seems reasonable to me. To rephrase, if I'm upgrading a CentOS 5.4
> system, and there's no CentOS 5.5, I don't see why yum should find a 5.5
> package.

Because there are no 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.x packages for yum.
There is only 5. Which is at 5.5 when you track upstream. And EPEL does
exactly that: Already build packages for 5.5. yum does know *nothing*
about that, yum just updates what is in the repos for version 5. There
is no 5.4 tree in the EPEL repository either, just a 5 tree. Which
already contains packages built against 5.5.

> *shrug*
> If I were a repo maintainer, I would not allow this.

As EPEL tracks upstream, why shouldn't they already build against 5.5?
And CentOS can not allow or disallow anything in this regard. It would
be nice if EPEL would wait for CentOS to catch up, but they (and atrpms)
don't do that.

> I can't see, say, Red Hat showing a 5.6 package if only 5.5 was out.

That cannot happen. How? Epel cannot build against 5.6 when 5.6 isn't out.

Ralph