[CentOS] Broken upgrade to memcached

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat May 8 15:25:56 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 04:11:15AM +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Am 05.05.10 08:32, schrieb Axel Thimm:
> > On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 03:37:52PM +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> >> You do not look for updates on 5.4, but for updates on5. And EPEL (as
> >> ATRPMS) tags along with RHEL - so you have to be looking out for
> >> things like that when you use CentOS.
> >
> > Until now I have only seen the kernel causing problems (with kmdl
> > support), and I have become very careful to always support the latest
> > centos kernels (as well as centosplus kernels).
> >
> > Are there any other know issues with ATrpms and too early package
> > support for the upcoming centos release?
>
> Sorry if that looks like I was badmouthing your repo somehow :)
>
> I was assuming you were already building against 5.5 as I ran into a
> problem updating the nvidia-kmdl. I didn't do any further checks then,
> but decided to live with that issue.
>
> If that isn't so, I said something wrong I guess.

There are kmdls for both 5.4 and 5.5, the kernels currently supported
are:

2.6.18-164.15.1.el5
2.6.18-164.15.1.el5.centos.plus
2.6.18-194.el5

The very nature of kmdls allow me to offer kmdl for verious kernels in
the same repo w/o one obsoleting the other.

But there is a rare code path in yum when both the kernel *and* the
nvidia release are bumped at the same time ("same time" means your
upgrades enclose both upgrade, so it looks as having been upgraded "at
the same time" from you yum's POV) where yum tries to pull the new
kernel instead of just upgrading as always.

In that case you can circumvent the logic by telling yum what to do
exactly, e.g. something like

yum install nvidia-graphics195.36.15{,-kmdl-`uname -r`}

In a nutshell: ATrpms does try hard to keep CentOS users happy. :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net