[CentOS] mail server best practices question

Brian McKerr bmckerr at gmail.com
Mon May 10 12:02:22 UTC 2010

I use Mailscanner with postfix and Mailwatch to manage quarantine etc;

http://mailscanner.info/

On the backup MX, I just use postfix and some basic anti-spam stuff. Very
little gets through and even less gets through to the primary. I am aware
that some spam techniques go straight to the backup MX because most people
don't set it up quite as well as the primary. YMMV.

I also used to use greylisting, which does reduce spam, but, unfortunately
it also reduces valid mail ;-) In the end I'd rather suffer a few spams
getting through compared to the delayed receipt of important emails.

Brian.