[CentOS] mail server best practices question

Jobst Schmalenbach jobst at barrett.com.au
Mon May 10 23:08:00 UTC 2010

Been using sendmail-clamav-mimedefang-greylist combo for years and have never had a problem.

Standard package:
sendmail-devel-8.13.8-2.el5
sendmail-cf-8.13.8-2.el5
sendmail-doc-8.13.8-2.el5
sendmail-8.13.8-2.el5

>From rpmforge:
mimedefang.2.68-1.el5
clamd-0.96-2.el5
clamav-0.96-2.el5
clamav-milter-0.96-2.el5
milter-greylist.3.0-2.el5

The important settings to get this to work:

sendmail.mc:
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`greylist', `S=local:/var/milter-greylist/milter-greylist.sock, F=T, T=S:3m;R:3m')
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang', `S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, F=T, T=S:3m;R:3m')
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clamav',`S=local:/var/clamav/clamav_milter.sock, F=T, T=S:4m;R:4m')dnl

clamav-milter.conf:
MilterSocket unix:/var/clamav/clamav_milter.sock

clamd.conf:
LocalSocket /var/clamav/clamd_local.sock

/etc/rc.d/init.d/mimedefang:
SPOOLDIR='/var/spool/MIMEDefang'
SOCKET=${SOCKET:=$SPOOLDIR/$prog.sock}

/etc/mail/greylist.conf:
socket "/var/milter-greylist/milter-greylist.sock"

As for the secondary MX (on a different host) running the same OS just copy ALL the config, its that easy.
However, on the PRIMARY host you need to make sure that the SECONDARY MX has access to hand over mail.

Jobst