[CentOS] Not firewall, but what?

Kahlil Hodgson kahlil.hodgson at dealmax.com.au
Tue May 11 01:28:54 UTC 2010

On 11/05/10 10:40, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 05/10/2010 06:20 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
>> This gives me a very clean and clear separation between inside my
>> network and outside, and no one outside my network is going to see my
>> RFC1918 address space.
>
> I weep every time I see someone advocate NAT for security reasons.  It's
> ridiculous.

I agree 100% and was not the intent of the comment.  This is more an
organisational approach based on what I've seen and done in the past.
Being organised does contribute to security ;-)

> Routing policy is definitely required for a multi-homed system such as
> Jussi presented, but NAT is totally superfluous.  It adds an extra layer
> of complexity that makes the system more difficult to diagnose and
> configure, and contributes nothing of value in return.

Now that I understand Jussi's set up a little better (all the components
seem to be fully internet facing) I also agree 100% with that.

> John Pierce's advice was simple and correct.  If you don't want to set
> up ifup-post scripts of your own, you can use shorewall.  Shorewall is
> actually more complex, but you don't have to understand much about the
> "ip" tool to use it.

Understanding a bit about the "ip" tool and policy-based routing (and
routing in general) will help to understand the configuration you have
suggested, and mapping it to his needs.

>  	interfaces:
> inet	eth0	-	norfc1918,nosmurfs,tcpflags
> inet	eth1	-	norfc1918,nosmurfs,tcpflags
> lan	virbr0	-	dhcp
>
> 	zones:
> fw	firewall
> inet	ipv4
> lan	ipv4
>
>	policy:
> $FW	all	ACCEPT
> inet	inet	DROP
> all	inet	ACCEPT
> all	all	REJECT	info
>
>	providers:
> isp0	1	1	main	eth0	62.236.221.78	track,balance
> isp1	2	2	main	eth1	62.220.237.126	track,balance
>
>	route_rules:
> lo	-	isp0	11000
> eth0	-	isp0	11000
> eth1	-	isp1	11000
> virbr0	-	isp1	11000

Nice use of providers and route_rules.  Only one bridge, the one that
libvirtd brings up by default.  Shorewall probably has to start after
libvirtd for this to work.  All Jussi has to do is to mod this and his
xen-startup scripts to use the same bridge.

Kal