[CentOS] mail server best practices question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 11 05:46:52 UTC 2010

Christopher Chan wrote:

>> With reference to your other message in this thread, MailScanner calls
>> spamd/clamd as part of the process but the real value in my mind is the
>> granular handling in MailScanner which is sort of complete overkill but
>> it totally works and scratches about every itch you ever had in running
>> a mail server.
>
> I'm sure the same can be said of mimedefang and more. When I find
> something is not met by the postfix provided mechanisms, I'll take a
> look at these other solutions.

MimeDefang is about as efficient as you can get because it multiplexes the
milter hooks separately as needed between the front/back end processes so it
doesn't keep a perl process running for every sendmail process and you don't
have fast operations waiting for slow ones to complete - and it runs
spamassassin in the backend daemon processes instead of starting a new copy for
each message.  Plus, it splits out the attachments only once for as many
scanning operations as you configure.

In theory, you can run MimeDefang as a postfix milter these days but I don't
know if it actually works.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com