[CentOS] Adding Repositories and using yum to download packages

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Wed May 12 09:18:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 02:27:56PM +0530, Jatin Davey wrote:

> [root at sc-devld-1 yum.repos.d]# yum install net-snmp
> This system is not registered with RHN.
> RHN support will be disabled.
> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up repositories
> not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping - 5Client is not a
> valid release or hasnt been released yet
> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base

	That's a RHEL5 box from the looks of it, but from a follow-up
	post of yours /etc/redhat-release says it's centos.  The two
	are mutually exclusive.  Also, /etc/redhat-release is a simple
	text file that can be made to say anything so it's not a great
	source of proper identification.

	What does "rpm -q centos-release" say?

							John

--
It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable
to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.