[CentOS] Not firewall, but what?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Thu May 13 18:36:32 UTC 2010

On 05/11/2010 10:21 PM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
> On 12.5.2010 3.25, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> On 05/11/2010 10:21 AM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting commands, and revealing, it seems to me.
>>
>> Well, there you go.  Something set up policy routing on the working
>> host.  Do you have any files like /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-*
>> or /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/rule-* ?
>
> None. But I found these (standard CentOS files):
>
> [root at farm1 network-scripts]# grep -rl "ip rule" .
> ./ifdown-routes
> ./ifup-routes

Yes, those scripts will run "ip rule" to process the contents of the
"rule-*" files.  The company I work for uses shorewall on all of their
multi-homed systems, so I'm not sure how systems without it behave.
That said, I don't see any magic in the init scripts to handle this
without your input.  I'm inclined to believe that something on your
system was manually configured to set up the routing policy that you see.

Find it harder:
find /etc/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep "ip rule"