[CentOS] Generic RAID question

Benjamin Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Wed May 19 17:59:32 UTC 2010

On 05/19/2010 10:50 AM, James Bensley wrote:
> Does anyone know if using unequal drives in a RAID 0 is possible?
>
> I was looking to set up a software stripe but if I have two volumes of
> unequal size I wish to stripe over, will the OS try and work around
> this by say only using as much space as is available on the smallest
> drive or is there anyway it will use all of both drives?
>
> Does it have to be a perfect block/byte balance across drives? (I'm
> assuming yes?)

In general, RAID0 will only size to the smallest volume. If your goal is
just to make the largest volume out of multiple smaller volumes, use LVM
instead. If you specifically want the performance enhancement of RAID0's
striping you will have to live with it sizing to the smallest drive.

--
Benjamin Franz