[CentOS] apache redirection

Ski Dawg centos at skidawg.org
Wed May 19 21:29:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Zack Colgan
<security-watch-zack at clearbearing.com> wrote:
> On 05/19/2010 04:08 PM, Ski Dawg wrote:
>> The problem I am running into is if they go to https://domainname.com
>> (straight to the secure site), I am not able to find a solution that
>> will redirect them to https://www.domainname.com, so that the ssl
>> certificate matches and they won't get the "This connection is
>> untrusted" warning.
>
> The problem you are running into is that SSL sessions are negotiated
> prior to the browser sending the virtual host name, so there is no
> opportunity to redirect the client to the www URL before it's too late.
>  Aside from purchasing a second SSL certificate for the plain domain
> name or getting a wildcard certificate to cover both, I would just make
> sure the links on your web site to the secure version of the domain
> specify the www in the URL.

Zack,

Thanks for the reply.

All of our links use the correct syntax (with the www), we were just
trying to catch the corner cases where if someone tries to go directly
to https://domainname.com instead of https://www.domainname.com then
it would not give them the error.

I was hoping to be able to do this without another certificate, since
this is just some corner cases, but I will investigate that as well.
Thanks.
--
Doug