[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Thu May 20 17:39:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:58:07AM -0400, Ryan Manikowski wrote:

> Make sure nmbd is started first: nmbd -D

You know, that's not the order the init.d/smb file has it in:

start() {
        KIND="SMB"
        echo -n $"Starting $KIND services: "
        daemon smbd $SMBDOPTIONS
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        KIND="NMB"
        echo -n $"Starting $KIND services: "
        daemon nmbd $NMBDOPTIONS
        RETVAL2=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 -a $RETVAL2 -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/smb ||
        \
           RETVAL=1
        return $RETVAL
}

If that needs to be the other way around - which it certainly ends up being
when I'm starting smbd by hand - then someone we got a file with the wrong
order specified in it. I'll test that later - other staff's back on the
mounted stuff now.

Whit