[CentOS] trying to rebuild an old nvidia driver

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu May 20 20:34:09 UTC 2010

mark wrote:
Akemi wrote:
>> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:05 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>> Let me start by saying that no, I can't get a new card for my user.
>
>> No problem with that.
>
>>> So, I've got the 96 nvidia driver. I've rebuilt it several times before,
>>> and Nvidia's installer's always worked fine. Actually, I have the 73
on my
>>> system, and just updated to 5.5, and no problem.
>
>> I suggest you give the ELRepo package a try:
>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia-96xx

> Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow.

*sigh*
Well, I did that, and then went through a song-and-dance uninstalling the
stuff the nvidia installer had put in, and uninstalling this so that would
succeed, and then *really* getting rid of the stuff it wouldn't, and then
using yum again.

And it still got trash. My user's sure he had not turned it off, that he
just came in one morning and it had lost it, and I have every reason to
believe him (he *does* know what he's doing).

So, at this point, we've given up - his machine wasn't on a UPS, and given
the power in this building, there's a high probability of a surge, and
something on the card got fried - so he's got another machine, and we're
probably going to call this one dead.

Thanks, though, for the el repo link. I've got to remember that one.

       mark