[CentOS] raid resync speed? - laptop drive-

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 21 23:06:36 UTC 2010

On 5/21/2010 5:46 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> These is a backuppc archive with millions of hardlinks that will take
>> forever to copy if I have to do a file-oriented copy onto a different
>> partition size.
>>

> have you tried a dump | restore style Ext{3|2}FS replica?   that works
> by inode and does it pretty efficiently.  catch22, the source shouldn't
> be mounted.

I haven't tried on this machine, but with an earlier 250 gig setup I was
never able to complete a copy over a weekend with any of the
file-oriented approaches.  Dump can dump the inode numbers but restore
will remap them to different numbers, needing a lookup table for all
files with multiple hard links - which with backuppc is all of them.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com