[CentOS] Is every CentOS release supported for 7 years?

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Sat May 22 18:40:54 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Aniruddha <mailingdotlist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read some posts in the forums which seems to indicate that not
> every CentOS version is well supported. Is it possible to install
> CentOS 5.5 on a server and only apply security updates for 7 years? Or
> is the preferred way to upgrade to each minor version? Thanks in
> advance!

I'm afraid there is some misunderstanding of 5 versus 5.x.

CentOS-5 is supported until 2014.  CentOS, as of this writing, is at
*point* release 5.5. If you are running "5.0" (or 5.1 or 5.2 or ...)
today, you are way behind because there have been a number of security
patches and bug fixes since 5.0.  In other words, "CentOS 5" has a
seven year support but 5.0  (or 5.1 or 5.2 or ...) is "obsolete". So,
if you install CentOS 5.5 now, you will have 4 more years of support.

Hope this clears a bit.

Akemi