[CentOS] Is every CentOS release supported for 7 years?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sat May 22 19:23:48 UTC 2010

On 05/22/2010 11:09 AM, Aniruddha wrote:

> I've read some posts in the forums which seems to indicate that not
> every CentOS version is well supported. Is it possible to install
> CentOS 5.5 on a server and only apply security updates for 7 years?

No.  As best I understand Red Hat's model, EL 5 will have 7 years of
support from the time of its initial release.  CentOS will rebuild their
packages to provide the same.  In neither case can you install the
current version today and expect 7 years of support.  With Red Hat's EL
you have the option to install a given point release and apply only
security fixes, staying at point release until the EOL for the remainder
of the major release's support lifetime.  CentOS does not provide that
option easily.  You could watch the errata feed and manually apply only
the security related patches, but if you use "yum update" without
further options, you'll be updated to whatever point release is current.

> Or
> is the preferred way to upgrade to each minor version?

The preference is yours.  Keeping your system current is the easiest
management strategy.