[CentOS] Is every CentOS release supported for 7 years?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat May 22 20:36:18 UTC 2010

> Coming from Gentoo -> Debian I am to trying to understand the way
> CentOS works. In Debian very little happens in stable releases and you
> use apt-get update to apply security updates and apt-get dist-upgrade
> for a major upgrade.

I am not sure if Gentoo or Debian even have 'point releases', at least
in the sense that RedHat has done things since way back when.

> In CentOS there is an yum-security plugin which allows you to install
> security updates only. If I understand correctly the preferred way
> though is to do at least an yum upgrade every 6 months in order to
> upgrade to a point release.

No, you you really should run yum update more frequently.  Every 6
months (or so), 'yum update' will automagically upgrade to a point
release. I am not really sure it really makes any sense to stay at a
given point release, esp. sice point releases are not some sort of
major new version or anything -- they are more a consolidation of many
small updates bundled together has a kind of 'update milestone' and are
more a matter of being a conveinent place (in 'time') to burn a new
batch of iso images.