[CentOS] Building an install disk on a USB key, solved (again)

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Mon May 24 15:01:05 UTC 2010

I was able to successfully install from an 8GB USB flash drive (4GB is
not quite big enough, even for i386) created with this procedure:

    Create a 10M DOS partition and make it active
    Create Linux partition using the rest of the drive

    mkfs -t vfat <the DOS partition>
    mkfs <the Linux partition>

     liveCD-iso-to-disk <boot.iso> /dev/<USB DOS partition>
    mount <USB Linux partition> /mnt
    rsync --progress <CentOS.iso> /mnt/

You can get the boot.iso by loop-mounting the CentOS iso and pulling it
out of the /os/i386/images directory, or grab it from one of the mirrors
(the mirror links on the CentOS site link directly to the install isos,
so you'll have to browse up a few directories and then go back down to
find the images directory).

(I replaced the 'cp' command with 'rsync' here because I hate having a
copy run for 10 minutes with no progress indication :)

--
Bowie