[CentOS] Created a custom/minimal CentOS 5.x install ISO

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Mon May 24 17:06:44 UTC 2010

On 05/20/2010 07:55 AM, Digimer wrote:

>     So let me see if I've got this straight (sorry, I'm coming from a
> Debian background)...
>
> 1. I need to create my own local repo which revisor will draw from.

Creating a local repo is basically the effect of running revisor.  If
you keep a copy of the disc or installation tree that revisor builds,
you can use it later to avoid downloading packages that haven't changed.
  If you don't want to rebuild the installer, you can also use the
reuseinstaller plugin to copy the installer from the image you compose
as well.

> 2. Create my own kickstart file (already done, actually)
> 3. Run revisor as you've both discussed.

Yep.

>     My goal is to create a much smaller DVD, more than anything. I won't
> be adding any custom RPMs, but I do want to add some existing ones not
> on the normal DVD (ie: DRBD). Is there a way, after parsing the
> kickstart script, to get a list of RPMs that weren't used?

Not normally.  You'd have to gather the repodata from all of the
repositories in the revisor configuration file, build a list of all of
the packages available, and then remove those that appear in your image.

> Or does
> revisor only pull from the repo the RPMs required to satisfy the
> kickstart script already?

Yes.  It will use what your kickstart file states is required.  It may
also pull in a small number of additional packages which are required to
build the anaconda installer.  Older versions of revisor do this even if
you are using the reuseinstaller plugin.