[CentOS] SATA hotswap

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Tue May 25 09:56:18 UTC 2010

Jakub Jedelský schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I changed a bad disk (automaticly disabled from software raid1 and
> system for I/O error) in one of our servers and now have problem with
> adding new one to system without reboot. Does anybody have an experience
> with this? Or is it possible? :) We're using hotswap AXX6DRV3G for 6
> SATA disks from Intel connected directly to MB (S5520HC from Intel too).
> There is AHCI as driver (enabled in bios), no HW raid.
> I found, something like that
>
> echo "0 0 0" >/sys/class/scsi_host/host<n>/scan
>
> but it found only sda disk which is already running..
> Using CentOS 5.5, x86_64.
>
> Thanks for your ideas and replies ... and excuse my english please :)
> --
> Jakub Jedelský
> e-mail/jabber: jakub.jedelsky at gmail.com
> <mailto:jakub.jedelsky at gmail.com>
> http://dev.stderr.cz

same mobo (Intel S5520HC) here, and also BIOS configured such that the
AHCI driver is being used.
I noted the same as you: hotswap does not seem to work - detecting a new
disk appears to need a cold start.
(I did not try to play with something like echo "0 0 0"
>/sys/class/scsi_host/host<n>/scan )

Hotswap does work on all my non-S5520HC mobos that have AHCI, though.

HTH,
Kay